This is a simple homemade tomato sauce that can be made in 25 minutes start to finish. It’s perfect over your favourite pasta or gnocchi.Print
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 2 people 1x
- Cuisine: Italian
- 750g fresh tomatoes
- 1 banana shallot
- 3 cloves garlic
- 500ml passata
- Large bunch basil
- Salt and pepper
- 60ml olive oil
- Peel the tomatoes by cutting a cross in the tops and bottoms. Blanch in boiling water for 20 seconds then remove and place immediately into iced water to cool. Peel off the skins.
- Cut the tomatoes into quarters and remove the seeds and core with a knife then cut the flesh into dice.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based pan and add the shallots, garlic and a pinch of salt.
- Cook until translucent and soft but not browned.
- Add the tomatoes, and vodka and allow to boil, then stir in the passata.
- Bring to a simmer and turn down the heat.
- Tie the basil in a bunch and add to the pan and allow to infuse while the sauce bubbles for 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with freshly cooked pasta, a good grating of cheese and a drizzle of olive oil.